NJTheater.com Forum
NJTheater.com
NJTheater.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Theater Forum
 General Discussion
 Casting Ouch! Stars' Terrible Tryouts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
* HTML is ON
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wednesday Posted - 22 Jun 2003 : 3:12:27 PM
What was your worst audition? We asked celebs to recall their most trying tryouts.

Pamela Anderson, on how she has managed to avoid lousy tryouts: "I've been fortunate. I haven't had too many auditions. I slept with all the right people."

Billy Baldwin: "I auditioned for Days of Our Lives. The script called for 'an Alec Baldwin type,' and I still didn't get the part."

Cindy Crawford: "(Director) Mike Nichols asked me to do a reading for him. It was my first year modeling, so I hadn't seen a script before. So I just read it � no emotion, no nothing. Afterwards he said, 'Well, I guess you can read.' "

Dennis Hopper: "Before my audition for Giant, I tried to introduce Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor to my parents, but I was so nervous that I couldn't remember (the stars') names."

Harvey Fierstein: "At my worst audition, the producer took me aside and said, 'Get out of the business because you have no talent whatsoever.' Over a year later she was my understudy."

David Arquette: "I auditioned for the villain in (the upcoming film) Starsky & Hutch, but I wasn't prepared. My hand shook, and I was sweating and stuttering. Apparently Vince Vaughn (who got the part) doesn't have that problem."

Paula Abdul: "There were so many! I'd wait hours for auditions and then be cut before they saw me dance because I was too short."

Camryn Manheim: "The part said, 'Grossly overweight woman, about 200 pounds.' So I go in and they tell me I'm not fat enough. I said, 'I weigh 220 pounds.' They said, 'You're lying.' So I said, 'You're right � I weigh 225.' "

Danny Bonaduce: "At a comedy club audition back in my drinking days, I showed up really bombed. I passed out under a table, and when they called my name, I hit my head."

Jamie-Lynn Sigler (The Sopranos): "I drank all this water before one audition when I was 7. They kept me waiting over an hour, so when I finally got onstage, I ended up peeing in my pants."

Tina Fey: "At an audition to play a Dunkin' Donuts employee for a commercial, they only had one uniform that everyone used. The person wearing it before me sneezed all over it. It was kind of demoralizing."

Bruce Willis: "The Cotton Club, because I thought I was supposed to make one of the producers laugh, and it didn't work out very well. He told me to get out."

Joely Fisher (Baby Bob): "A casting director used her breast pump during one audition. She was not into boundaries."

Alan Cumming: "My weirdest was for Woody Allen. He was hiding behind a pillar during my audition so I couldn't see him. It was odd."

Gabriel Byrne: "We sat at a big glass table, and when I cleared my throat, phlegm landed on the table. I tried to clean it off, but they were revolted. I didn't get the job."

Eric McCormack: "Before I went into one audition, I had to pee and ended up standing at the urinal next to the guy I was auditioning for. Afterwards that was all I could think about."

Jim Belushi: "After I auditioned for Brian De Palma for the part of Al Capone in The Untouchables, he called my agent and said, 'What the hell was that?' "

Matthew McConaughey: "Some of my worst auditions turned out to be the best for me. You know you've blown it and you say, 'Um, can I just go for a jog and be back in thirty minutes to try this again?' When you come back, the ice is broken."

Aisha Tyler (Talk Soup): "A horrible casting woman yelled at me, 'Be sexy! Prove to me I should sleep with you!' "

Tim Allen: "I auditioned for an Oldsmobile commercial, got it, then said that the campaign was idiotic. They said, 'You just lost yourself a big gig.' "

Leah Remini: "It was for a sitcom with Norman Lear. He said, 'I don't think I've ever seen a worse audition.' I said, 'Honestly, I haven't had coffee,' and he says, 'Go get some and come back.' I did, but it didn't help."

Kristin Davis: "The strangest was when I was asked, 'Why aren't you wearing red lipstick? Didn't you read that the character is wearing red in this scene?' "

Seth Green "When I was 7, I was up for a part involving G.I. Joe. I thought, 'I know everything about G.I. Joe!' To prove it, I brought my toys, but I got so excited about playing with my toys that I blew the audition."

LL Cool J: "Jerry Maguire, because I spilled water all over the director's desk."

Jon Lovitz: "One time, I auditioned for a sitcom and they had me read a whole script � the whole thing for two hours! They said, 'You're funny, but that gets tiring after two hours.'"

Jami Gertz (Still Standing): "The director asked for a corned beef sandwich in the middle of my audition. Then as I was delivering my lines he said, 'Why isn't it here yet?' I didn't get the part, but he got the sandwich."

Jennifer Connelly: "My worst-ever audition was for a Duncan Hines cake commercial. I had to sing their theme song in front of a bunch of kids, including one classmate. I was so mortified that I started sweating and blushing. Then I broke down laughing in a heap on the floor. I just couldn't do it, so they asked me to leave."

Dan Aykroyd: "My worst audition was for The People vs. Larry Flynt. (Director) Milos Forman said, 'Just say the words. Don't act! Don't act!' That was the best stage direction I ever had."

Michelle Rodriguez (S.W.A.T.): "I auditioned for the Jada Pinkett role in The Matrix Reloaded and I was more interested in asking them how they made the first film than I was in getting the role. I suck at auditions. I'm completely horrible without the pressure of real-life cameras and millions of dollars in front of me. Without that pressure, I'm not fully there. I'm just like, 'Whatever.' "

Richard Schiff (The West Wing): "I went in to audition for The West Wing, and I was god-awful. I stopped, I giggled, I shook my head and started again. I was so nervous the script was shaking in my hand."

Beau Bridges: "It was when I tried out for The Graduate. I wore a blue shirt for the interview. When it was done, the producer shook my hand and he said, 'Oh, I see, you wore the blue shirt to match your blue eyes.' "

Kim Cattrall: "Every audition is a horrible nightmare. It's like being on American Idol, but you don't even know what anybody thought."

Anne Bancroft: "I'll tell you something: I have never auditioned."

"Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
-- P.J. O'Rourke
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
James Posted - 24 Jun 2003 : 5:16:37 PM
quote:

How did Anne Bancroft get away with that? Marrying the director?

As far as I can recall, she's only been in two of her husbands movies ("Silent Movie" and "To Be or Not To Be")

Truth,
James
Miss Brodie Posted - 24 Jun 2003 : 2:55:55 PM
quote:

I read that as she never saw an audition as an audition - but rather as a chance to perform.

Ooh...

"The most important thing in acting is honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made." - George Burns
Wednesday Posted - 24 Jun 2003 : 1:28:13 PM
quote:

I read that as she never saw an audition as an audition - but rather as a chance to perform. Same philosophy Jack Lemmon had.

"Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
-- P.J. O'Rourke
Miss Brodie Posted - 24 Jun 2003 : 12:40:34 PM

"The most important thing in acting is honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made." - George Burns

NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page