Casting Ouch! Stars' Terrible Tryouts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wednesday
Advanced Member

1765 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  3:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was your worst audition? We asked celebs to recall their most trying tryouts.

Pamela Anderson, on how she has managed to avoid lousy tryouts: "I've been fortunate. I haven't had too many auditions. I slept with all the right people."

Billy Baldwin: "I auditioned for Days of Our Lives. The script called for 'an Alec Baldwin type,' and I still didn't get the part."

Cindy Crawford: "(Director) Mike Nichols asked me to do a reading for him. It was my first year modeling, so I hadn't seen a script before. So I just read it � no emotion, no nothing. Afterwards he said, 'Well, I guess you can read.' "

Dennis Hopper: "Before my audition for Giant, I tried to introduce Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor to my parents, but I was so nervous that I couldn't remember (the stars') names."

Harvey Fierstein: "At my worst audition, the producer took me aside and said, 'Get out of the business because you have no talent whatsoever.' Over a year later she was my understudy."

David Arquette: "I auditioned for the villain in (the upcoming film) Starsky & Hutch, but I wasn't prepared. My hand shook, and I was sweating and stuttering. Apparently Vince Vaughn (who got the part) doesn't have that problem."

Paula Abdul: "There were so many! I'd wait hours for auditions and then be cut before they saw me dance because I was too short."

Camryn Manheim: "The part said, 'Grossly overweight woman, about 200 pounds.' So I go in and they tell me I'm not fat enough. I said, 'I weigh 220 pounds.' They said, 'You're lying.' So I said, 'You're right � I weigh 225.' "

Danny Bonaduce: "At a comedy club audition back in my drinking days, I showed up really bombed. I passed out under a table, and when they called my name, I hit my head."

Jamie-Lynn Sigler (The Sopranos): "I drank all this water before one audition when I was 7. They kept me waiting over an hour, so when I finally got onstage, I ended up peeing in my pants."

Tina Fey: "At an audition to play a Dunkin' Donuts employee for a commercial, they only had one uniform that everyone used. The person wearing it before me sneezed all over it. It was kind of demoralizing."

Bruce Willis: "The Cotton Club, because I thought I was supposed to make one of the producers laugh, and it didn't work out very well. He told me to get out."

Joely Fisher (Baby Bob): "A casting director used her breast pump during one audition. She was not into boundaries."

Alan Cumming: "My weirdest was for Woody Allen. He was hiding behind a pillar during my audition so I couldn't see him. It was odd."

Gabriel Byrne: "We sat at a big glass table, and when I cleared my throat, phlegm landed on the table. I tried to clean it off, but they were revolted. I didn't get the job."

Eric McCormack: "Before I went into one audition, I had to pee and ended up standing at the urinal next to the guy I was auditioning for. Afterwards that was all I could think about."

Jim Belushi: "After I auditioned for Brian De Palma for the part of Al Capone in The Untouchables, he called my agent and said, 'What the hell was that?' "

Matthew McConaughey: "Some of my worst auditions turned out to be the best for me. You know you've blown it and you say, 'Um, can I just go for a jog and be back in thirty minutes to try this again?' When you come back, the ice is broken."

Aisha Tyler (Talk Soup): "A horrible casting woman yelled at me, 'Be sexy! Prove to me I should sleep with you!' "

Tim Allen: "I auditioned for an Oldsmobile commercial, got it, then said that the campaign was idiotic. They said, 'You just lost yourself a big gig.' "

Leah Remini: "It was for a sitcom with Norman Lear. He said, 'I don't think I've ever seen a worse audition.' I said, 'Honestly, I haven't had coffee,' and he says, 'Go get some and come back.' I did, but it didn't help."

Kristin Davis: "The strangest was when I was asked, 'Why aren't you wearing red lipstick? Didn't you read that the character is wearing red in this scene?' "

Seth Green "When I was 7, I was up for a part involving G.I. Joe. I thought, 'I know everything about G.I. Joe!' To prove it, I brought my toys, but I got so excited about playing with my toys that I blew the audition."

LL Cool J: "Jerry Maguire, because I spilled water all over the director's desk."

Jon Lovitz: "One time, I auditioned for a sitcom and they had me read a whole script � the whole thing for two hours! They said, 'You're funny, but that gets tiring after two hours.'"

Jami Gertz (Still Standing): "The director asked for a corned beef sandwich in the middle of my audition. Then as I was delivering my lines he said, 'Why isn't it here yet?' I didn't get the part, but he got the sandwich."

Jennifer Connelly: "My worst-ever audition was for a Duncan Hines cake commercial. I had to sing their theme song in front of a bunch of kids, including one classmate. I was so mortified that I started sweating and blushing. Then I broke down laughing in a heap on the floor. I just couldn't do it, so they asked me to leave."

Dan Aykroyd: "My worst audition was for The People vs. Larry Flynt. (Director) Milos Forman said, 'Just say the words. Don't act! Don't act!' That was the best stage direction I ever had."

Michelle Rodriguez (S.W.A.T.): "I auditioned for the Jada Pinkett role in The Matrix Reloaded and I was more interested in asking them how they made the first film than I was in getting the role. I suck at auditions. I'm completely horrible without the pressure of real-life cameras and millions of dollars in front of me. Without that pressure, I'm not fully there. I'm just like, 'Whatever.' "

Richard Schiff (The West Wing): "I went in to audition for The West Wing, and I was god-awful. I stopped, I giggled, I shook my head and started again. I was so nervous the script was shaking in my hand."

Beau Bridges: "It was when I tried out for The Graduate. I wore a blue shirt for the interview. When it was done, the producer shook my hand and he said, 'Oh, I see, you wore the blue shirt to match your blue eyes.' "

Kim Cattrall: "Every audition is a horrible nightmare. It's like being on American Idol, but you don't even know what anybody thought."

Anne Bancroft: "I'll tell you something: I have never auditioned."

"Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
-- P.J. O'Rourke

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  12:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How did Anne Bancroft get away with that? Marrying the director?

"The most important thing in acting is honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made." - George Burns
Go to Top of Page

Wednesday
Advanced Member

1765 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  1:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I read that as she never saw an audition as an audition - but rather as a chance to perform. Same philosophy Jack Lemmon had.

"Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
-- P.J. O'Rourke
Go to Top of Page

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  2:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I read that as she never saw an audition as an audition - but rather as a chance to perform.

Ooh...

"The most important thing in acting is honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made." - George Burns
Go to Top of Page

James
Administrator

562 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  5:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

As far as I can recall, she's only been in two of her husbands movies ("Silent Movie" and "To Be or Not To Be")

Truth,
James
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page