New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  3:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All are invited to make suggestions for plays they would like to read with the play-reading group. I will make the weekly selection from the suggestions provided, until there is a mutiny.

hrhannek

20 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  4:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paging James Grausam!!

I remember you told me a few playwrights that I need to read. Could you make a suggestion here?
Go to Top of Page

Prosper Block
Advanced Member

308 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Play reading suggestion: "When The World Was Green (A Chef's Fable)" by Sam Shepard
Go to Top of Page

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  3:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
INDIANS by Arthur Kopit, Tony award for Best Play of 1970 - huge cast!

MORNINGS AT SEVEN by Paul Osborn - saw the 1980 revival, but I'd like to read the script.

COME BACK, LITTLE SHEBA by William Inge - because I never read it or saw a production.

ART by Yasmina Reza - because it seems to be the hot property these days.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prosper Block

Play reading suggestion: "When The World Was Green (A Chef's Fable)" by Sam Shepard

I don't think it will be easy for us to find this play. Here is a link to where you can order it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/140003079X/qid=1088013672/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3154348-0826252?v=glance&s=books

Let's schedule it for a month from now, so everyone has time to find it/order it/whatever.
Go to Top of Page

Prosper Block
Advanced Member

308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  3:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Catherine, for providing that information.
Go to Top of Page

Prosper Block
Advanced Member

308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  4:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Catherine, for providing that information.
Go to Top of Page

Don
Advanced Member

638 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  07:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we do No Exit?

But long after Swing Closes.

Don
Go to Top of Page

Jgrausam

37 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Huis Clos" - American premiere was at the Biltmore Theatre in 1946.
A little JPS never hurt no one - although for Don's sanity we should wait until Swing is over. I can't imagine delving inot "Hell is other people" while partnering to jive. That would turn the exsistentialists into absurdists."

Anne - I suggested Richard Greenberg (3 Days of Rain, Eastern Standard) Donald Margulies (Sight Unseen) or John Patrick Shanley (Beggars in the House of Plenty, Four Dogs and a Bone -which some sensible producer should present in their black box series somewhere) All three are very intellectual writers, particularly Greenberg, who handle dialogue well.

Catherine - the more recent revival of Mornings at Seven(2001?)was brilliant. I would vote for Art, which I've tried to read several times now and can't get through it. I would love to hear what others think of that one.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  4:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James, thanks. We have ART on the schedule to discuss next week, and I'm planning to pick MORNINGS AT SEVEN for the week after.

RE: Richard Greenberg, I had the pleasure of participating in a staged reading of his AMERICAN PLAN last fall. His work is beautifully layered in that, just like an onion.
Go to Top of Page

zadodci
Advanced Member

406 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  08:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about Oscar Wilde's "Lady Windemere's Fan"

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer
Spotlight Theatre Company
Go to Top of Page

Wednesday
Advanced Member

1765 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  10:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a Female Pick...

"Ladies of the Corridor" by Dorothy Parker.

Which may be revived by The Bank Street Theater come this fall.

"It's not true that I had nothing on at the time. I had the radio on." -- Marilyn Monroe
Go to Top of Page

jheron
Advanced Member

492 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  11:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Brodie

All are invited to make suggestions for plays they would like to read with the play-reading group. I will make the weekly selection from the suggestions provided, until there is a mutiny.

OK, so what's next week's pick?
Go to Top of Page

Wednesday
Advanced Member

1765 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  12:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jheron

I nominate THE BOYS NEXT DOOR by Tom Griffin..

"It's not true that I had nothing on at the time. I had the radio on." -- Marilyn Monroe
Go to Top of Page

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  1:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wednesday

quote:
Originally posted by jheron

I nominate THE BOYS NEXT DOOR by Tom Griffin..

Next week's pick (for discussion July 7) is MORNINGS AT SEVEN.

The week after that I didn't decide, yet. We can make it THE BOYS NEXT DOOR, if you like.

The week of July 21 is the Sam Shepard play WHEN THE WORLD WAS GREEN (A CHEF'S FABLE) suggested by Irwin Hahn. That gives people who want to join the discussion a little time to get the script.

Then we'll just gradually work our way through all the suggestions that have been made in this string. Okay?
Go to Top of Page

EstherC
Average Member

51 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2004 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOOH!!! I have some suggestions!!!

"Cloud Nine" by Caryl Churchill

"Getting Out" by Marsha Norman

"The Shape of Things" by Neil LaBute

There are so many more on my mind..... I was a dramatic lit major in college, so I'm loving this idea!!!

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - (As You Like It, Act II, Scene IV)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page